How to Balance Tires
Having your tires in great condition helps your vehicle give you not only smooth and stable driving, but also efficient performance throughout Slidell and St. Tammany Parish, LA, and Picayune, MS.
To keep them in top shape, it’s important to have them regularly rotated and make sure they have the right amount of air pressure. You’ll also want to make sure they’re always balanced. If you need to have your tires balanced, our Honda of Slidell team explains how you can get this done below.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Balance Tires
If you want to do this service yourself, there are a few things you’ll need before you can begin. You’ll need to have a wheel balancer, jack, and various tools to get the job done. Also, it’s best to familiarize yourself with the various parts of the wheel.
Once you’re all set up and ready, you can follow these steps to balance your tires:
- Remove Weights: Remove weights on your wheels, then take your wheels off your vehicle.
- Clean: This is a great time to wash off any dirt or debris from your tires and wheels.
- Put Wheel on Balancer: Next, you’ll want to put the assembly on your balancer and begin to spin your wheels.
- Mark Spots: If the tire is out of balance, you’ll want to mark spots where you’ll put the weights. These spots should be opposite of the heavy spots.
- Put on Weights: Go ahead and put on the weights where you made your markings.
- Recheck Balance: Your tire is balanced once the tire moves smoothly if testing through dynamic balancing, or stays in a perfectly straight line if testing through static balancing.
- Put Wheels on Car: Once you’ve checked to make sure your tires are balanced again, you’re ready to put the wheels back on your car, tighten up the lug nuts, and then lower the jack.
Signs Your Tires Are Unbalanced
While some manufacturers might recommend getting this service done when you hit a certain mileage interval, there are some signs that let you know your tires are unbalanced. A major warning sign that your tires need to be rebalanced is any time you feel a vibration in the steering wheel. Also, uneven or faster tread wear and poor fuel economy are all signs your tires might need to be balanced.
Get Your Tires Balanced at Our Service Center
While this can be done from home by following these steps, there’s an easier way to get your tires balanced. Just bring your vehicle to our service center here at Honda of Slidell and let our trained technicians get this service done for you quickly and properly!
This way your tires can be put on a balancing machine that can identify exactly which spots are causing a tire to be unbalanced, and then fixing those particular spots on the tire.
Contact us now to schedule an appointment and get your tires serviced, so you can get back to smooth and stable driving around Slidell and St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, and Picayune, Mississippi.